Friday, June 20, 2014

Book Review: Deception's Princess by Esther Friesner (no spoilers)

Book: Deception's Princess
Author: Esther Friesner
Publication: April 22nd, 2014
Series: Deception's Princess #1
Source: Local Library
Read: May 26th-June 1st, 2014
Summary (from Goodreads):
Some lies lead to true adventure. . . .

 Maeve, princess of Connacht, was born with her fists clenched. And it's her spirit and courage that make Maeve her father's favorite daughter. But once he becomes the High King, powerful men begin to circle--it's easy to love the girl who brings her husband a kingdom.

 Yet Maeve is more than a prize to be won, and she's determined to win the right to decide her own fate. In the court's deadly game of intrigue, she uses her wits to keep her father's friends and enemies close--but not too close. When she strikes up an unlikely friendship with the son of a visiting druid, Maeve faces a brutal decision between her loyalty to her family and to her own heart.

 Award-winning author Esther Friesner has a remarkable gift for combining exciting myth and richly researched history. This fiery heroine's fight for independence in first-century Ireland is truly worthy of a bard's tale. Hand Deception's Princess to fans of Tamora Pierce, Shannon Hale, and Malinda Lo
.
My Thoughts:

I'm like a lot of other people with this book. I was attracted to read the book because of the cover resembling Merida from Brave. This book is not to be confused with Brave because it is a lot different. The main character Maeve and Merida did have a few things in common. They are both fearless, brave, headstrong, and a bit stubborn. 

The beginning of this book had a lot of story building and was rather slow moving. I have to admit it took me a while to fall in love with Maeve. I was forcing myself to read this novel for a while, but then came Maeve's relationship with the druid's son Ordan. I so enjoyed their time spend together healing the animals and I think they both changed each other for the better. I love head strong female characters and although I do think Maeve fell to a few woman stereotypes, she was the type of character I was looking for. Maeve was the kind of person that often acts before thinking and then has to clean up her mess. Maeve has a strong head on her shoulders and she is willing to do what is best for her kingdom.  In this old century tale, Maeve's only job as a princess was getting married and although many suitors came, Maeve kept her stance that she would marry for nothing less than love. 

I enjoyed the way her father treated Maeve. He treated her like his true queen and the mother was also somebody I liked, but I would have liked her to have more of a role in the novel and Maeve's life. I enjoyed the mythology  woven into the novel. The writing was beautiful. Although I found some parts of the novel boring for the most part it was a beautiful story and I enjoyed getting to know Maeve. A part that really resembles Brave comes toward the end of the book. I found that part to be surprising and slightly unrealistic. It was one of my favorite parts of the novel. Maeve's choice at the end of the book is bold and courageous to say the least. I look forward to finding out her fate in the second novel. I will most likely read more novels by this author. 

2 comments:

  1. We had the same thought. haha :D I thought it looks a lot like Merida as well :D

    Maeve sounds like a strong heroine, I like her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maeve was a pretty strong heroine. I enjoyed the novel.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.