Thursday, May 8, 2014

Book Review: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (no spoilers)

Book: Charlotte's Web
Author: E.B. White
Publication: 1952
Source: Own
Read: March 16th- 21st, 2014
Summary (From Goodreads):

An affectionate pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, White reminds readers to open their eyes to the wonder and miracle found in the simplest of things.
My Thoughts:

Charlotte's Web is a book I really wanted to tackle this year because I believed I had missed out not reading this book in my childhood. After reading Wilbur's story I most certainly did. Although I have seen the movie many times the book still is so beautiful and tells the story in a rich way. 

My favorite character for sure is Charlotte. She is witty, smart, and beautiful. Would you ever expect a spider to have feelings and feel love for an animal such as a pig? I think her character was perfect in every way. I enjoyed getting to know Charlotte's thoughts. Wilbur of course was the main character of this novel. He goes from being a lonely pig who is most likely going to be eaten for Christmas dinner to "Some Pig." There was a lot of coming of age in this novel through Fern. Her mother worried about all the time she spent with Wilbur, but as she grows she has other things to worry about. We see the changes in Fern's life. 

Of course I knew the ending of Charlotte's Web already, but the words used to describe the event were beautiful. The quote at the very end of the book brought such joy to my heart. It was so beautiful that I read it quite a few times. I think I'm prove that you are never too old to enjoy a children's classic. Charlotte's Web was a beautiful book and I'm so glad I read it. I'm excited to share this delightful story with my children in the future. 

Thanks

4 comments:

  1. I remember reading Charlotte's Web as a little girl. I had a stuffed pig named Wilbur. :) I think we all have those books that regret not reading as kids. For me it's Series of Unfortunate Events and Harry Potter. But just because I'm reading them now doesn't change the fact that they're brilliant! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.That why I wasn't afraid t read it as a college freshman.

      Delete
  2. "I think I'm prove that you are never too old to enjoy a children's classic" I love that! It is so true! No one is ever too old to enjoy a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to read Anne of Green Gables this summer since it is a free audiobook download.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.