Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Book Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (no spoilers)

Book: An Abundance of Katerines
Author: John Green
Publication: September 21st, 2006
Source: Local Library
Read: February 13th Break: Febuary 15th to February 28th Finished March 2nd, 2014
Summary (From Goodreads):
Katherine V thought boys were gross
Katherine X just wanted to be friends
Katherine XVIII dumped him in an e-mail
K-19 broke his heart

 When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

 On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun--but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself


My Thoughts:

I have put off writing this review. I even thought about not writing a review for this book.  I love John Green as an author and a part of me wants to love every single book he writes. I know that is not possible and An Abundance of Katherines proves that.

I found Colin to be a very dull, passive character. He was depressed with his break up with Katherine 19, but he could still have a personality. Colin was super smart, but I had no connection to him. I found him to be very boring. Although the formula was interesting I often found myself bored while reading this novel.

Then there was Hassan who added a little life to the book, but at that point I just thought that the book was boring. I liked Lindsey as a character, but I was still struggling to connect with her as a character. For once she wasn't trying to escape from her past, but stay in the town she grew up in.

I thought the Katherine premise of the book was interesting I just don't think the execution was amazing by any means. I think the story could have had less math and more romance or just action in general. A mobbing main character didn't interest me. Although the ending gave me warm fuzzies I was just fed up with the book by the end to really enjoy the ending. I struggled to read An Abundance of Katherines. Although I didn't hate it by any means I didn't necessarily love it either. This one will not go down as my favorite John Green book, but I have had books I disliked by my favorite authors before and still loved them.

Thanks for reading





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.