Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Book Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman (no spoilers)

Book: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publication: April 6, 2010
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary: (from Goodreads)
On a day that started like any other,

 Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.

 Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.
.

My Thoughts:

I put off writing this review because I was busy so in doing that I have had time to reflect on the book, but also forget a little bit about the book. I loved If I Stay. Compared to Sisters in Sanity I related so much better to If I Stay and I think the writing was so much better in Gayle Forman's second novel.

Mia was a very emotional character. You could tell she put her whole self in her relationship and her music. She was willing to do what she needed to do to make both work. Mia has the decision to make whether she stays or she goes. I think this would be the hardest decision in the world to make because there are pros and cons to each situation. Mia handled it in a way that was realistic, but also very mature. Through the novel we continue to see how mature Mia is for a 17 year old.

Then there is Adam. Adam had a big part of the novel because through the flashbacks we got to see how Adam's relationship with Mia was formed and learn more about his past. I liked Adam I just didn't like the parts where Mia thought she needed to change to impress Adam.

I also really liked Willow and Kim as characters. Both characters had really strong personalities that were willing to fight to see Mia and help her get through this coma.

Overall If I Stay was a great book. I think it was emotional most of the times, but at times I had a hard time relating with the characters. The ending came really abruptly. When I looked at the pages I thought I had about 30 pages left. Only to find out later that those were just extra pages and I was done with the book. I had to read the ending a few times to really convince myself it was over with. I was happy with the ending Gayle Forman gave the book and it left a big cliff hanger for the second book, but I do wish that she spent a little bit more time explaining how the ending happened. If I Stay is a great novel and I can't wait to read the second novel.

If You have Read the Book and Would Like to Discuss the Novel with Me Check Out My Gayle Forman Read Along Posts
If I Stay Week 1 Answers
If I Stay Week 2 Answers
If I Stay Week 3 Answers
If I Stay Week 4 Answers


Thanks

Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.