Friday, January 4, 2013

Book and movie review: The Pact by Jodi Picoult


Today I'm doing a book review on The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I read The Pact last fall so I have to tell you I have lost details of how wonderful this book really is, but it is my favorite Jodi Picoult book so I want to share my thoughts with whoever may read this post. The Pact is about Chris and Emily who decide to make a suicide pact. Emily ends up dying and Chris survives. The police show up and Chris still has the gun in his hand. They are doubtful that Emily committed suicide and charge Chris with murder. The Pact spends a lot of time focusing on the parents and what they really think happened. Chris and Emily's parents used to be friends before Emily's death. Now Emily's parents are blaming Chris's parents and Chris's parents are blaming themselves, but yet they can't convince themselves that their son would commit murder. The Pact is a novel that will constantly keep you thinking and guessing right to the end. The book is not only sad, but very emotional. The Pact did the unique think of making you look at the character from both sides. There was part of this novel that I thought Chris was totally innocent and then there were parts of this novel that I wasn't sure and thought maybe he is guilty  It put a doubt in my mind about Chris as a character and what he was capable of doing. You will have to read the book to find the answer.


There is also a lifetime movie based on The Pact which my sister and I watched shortly after we finished reading the novel. The movie didn't want to show the scene where Chris was holding the gun because it was a movie for TV. The movie basically cut Chris out as a main character and focused almost solely on the parents. The movie was just cheaply made and in no way represented how great this novel is.

Thanks for reading comment your feelings on this novel.


Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.